Saturday, November 19, 2005

Blogger's Bloc?




It is amazing how serious bloggionistas can come up with nuff bloggin material. I mean some of you are for blogs what some people are for cellphones.

I always stare in wonderment at people who's ears always have a cellphone glued to them and think "ok, what else can be happening that I am just ignorant of?" Even the person who just drove 1 inch from your car so that he could leave the traffic lane, go into the oncoming traffic lane, then turn in front of you so that he could enter the road you are leaving has a telephone glued to his ear.

And to think most of those phones are pre-paid phones, so people have to be topping them up with minutes. Now I know the way of doing that has advanced, you can do it online, at the bank, at the gas station, even at the atm, but the rate at which some people are yabbering away on cellphones should leave them little time to top up, I think, but hey, I guess they just do it while they are still talking on the phone.

My doctor's office has several signs saying "no cell phones" which I guess means please switch them off. If I forget to turn mine off and it rings I usually run outside, and talk, switch off, and the run back inside. Most folks just sit there in the waiting room, oblivious, phone ringing, and then bellowing into the phone "Hello?" when it rings.

I remember being in court once and one of our magistrates, lets call her judge dread, locked up a woman for her cell phone once, because the stupid idiot not only had her phone ring, but answered it and struck up a loud discussion on her phone in the gallery of the court. Judge dredd let her out at the end of the day.

Now here in Cayman Digicel has acquired Cingular. Digicel has gotten quite big here in Cayman, usually all Jamaican's have a digi phone, or both a digi and a C & W. It gets ridiculous sometimes. Once I saw a contractor with 3. He said he had to call his staff (all J'can) on the digi, his wife on the C & W, and certain other folks on the post-paid C & W. Amazing. I am still with C&W but over the years lots of folks got tired of them and when the market was liberalised lots of folks did the switch. There is no number portability yet, so I can't switch without changing over.

In October I went to the local business expo, and all of the phone companies were selling phones really cheaply (even giving some away) - C&W were selling one for $19, and I think Digi was selling one for even less. These were prepaid phones though, and I have never gotten into this buying credit thing.


Lots of European folks were getting Digicel recently too apparently because of favourable long distance rates.

I can barely keep up with my one.

Now you may wonder what how these pics relate to the above tirade, well, nothing actually. Just look if you like and don't if you don't. What else can be said? The one on the right is a top5Jamaica girl.

3 comments:

Abeni said...

Yeah,the cell phone biz outta control.Is almost as if people can't live without them

Unknown said...

Yep the cellphone thig outa hand! Even in the middle of the service at a church yuh hear cellphones ringing! I was walking thru one of the malls on Constant Spring road and say a guy with a blue tooth headset on one ear and a cell phone on the other ear! I mean what the F...! I just had to start laughing...should have had my camera!

Unknown said...

Digicel vs bmobile = smiling consumer